Hints and Tips
Whatever your current level, there are lots of things you can do to improve your English. Here are some ideas to think about:
- Take every opportunity to talk in English, especially with native speakers. They won't mind if you make mistakes
- Check out the BBC website (www.bbc.co.uk). As well as full news coverage, you can listen to and download radio programmes. There are also sections aimed specifically at language learners
- For local news in English have a look at www.wort,lu/en. If you use Twitter, you can also follow them and receive regular updates in English
- Listen to, or watch, something in English as often as you can. If watching a film or TV programme with subtitles, set them to English.
- Try listening to Luxembourg's Ara City Radio which broadcasts in English every morning on 103.3 - 105.2.
- Consider getting access to British TV stations*
- Download lyrics to a favourite song and try to understand them
- To practise grammar, try doing some on-line exercises on one of the free websites. A good one is www.englishpage.com
- Read books or magazines to build vocabulary. But don't look up every unfamiliar word or expression. Try to guess meanings from the context and only look in a dictionary if you see the same word at least three times
* For the best choice of programmes you can either subscribe to SKY UK or get a Freesat box (not Freeview). Both use the Astra 1N satellite and are easily received in Luxembourg.
There are several providers of SKY subscriptions in Luxembourg - for example SAT.TV. Freesat is subscription free and carries all the main UK channels. Boxes start from under €40.